Thursday, November 27, 2008

My TV news debut

Some of you know of our 68 Camaro convertible that I have been restoring at a snails pace over the last two to three years. Bev will argue that it's been longer.

We had a lot of fun in the car but it came time to give the car the TLC that it deserved, that's when my portion of the restoration started. This is the car just after I started tearing it down.
Note the rusted inner fender and the drum brakes.

I decided that during the restoration I would make the car more drivable for Bev by adding power disc brakes and power steering. This picture is with the motor setting in and the disc brakes half done.

In this lower picture you can see the brakes are on and the power steering is in place.




During this whole thing I was mistaken that the body was in pretty good condition still. But upon pulling back the carpet I found rust through the floors.




You can even see the rust holes from this satellite view.


Once I came across this body and paint problem, I contacted Chris Purdum, a friend I have known for years that owns a restoration shop. I asked him to evaluate the body and paint of the car to see what was involved. This is also about the same time I got the news of my cancer. When I told Chris about the Cancer, I guess he came up with some ideas of his own.

I was contacted by Terry Wood of channel 4 news who said he would like to do a story about me and the car. Apparently Chris had contacted him about the project.

Terry came out to our house and asked some questions about the car, my Police career and meth lab exposure.

Terry did what I thought was a great broadcast that reminded the public about the Officers out there sick and suffering from job related exposures.

Here are the links to the original broadcast which aired on Tuesday and the followup on Wednesday.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story.aspx?content_id=f676521b-8e16-4bdb-beec-8b424fd9bb57

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story.aspx?content_id=d5a429e7-ae97-4915-86f8-95f1bfe8c725

At the same time Chris and his wife Kelly added a page about me on their web site www.customsandclassics.com explaining my career, the cancer and the car project.









5 comments:

roxeegirl said...

Hi. Thinking of you both today and of how grateful and lucky I've been over the years to consider you my friends. I was so happy to see in the news reports that Terry Wood would (Terry Wood would?) come out and say it out loud and in a public forum that these cancers and illnesses ARE related to the job. Now if only we could get the "powers that be" to step up and do the right thing. Enjoy your day today. God bless you both and your family. xxoo Kim

Jacque Clarke said...

hey rick and bev, remeber the pain the ass little sister? (JACQUE COLIBERT) Greg and I talked about you today, and man did we look for the donald duck sheets (ha, ha.) Just had to put that out there, you know, being the pain in the ass little sister that I am. :) Was so happy to be a part of the love at the church the other night. You and your family are so loved by us. xoxo Always in our prayers.
love you. Greg, Jan, & Jacque

greg colibert said...

hey Rick, I found a bunch of pics of you in your younger days. You and Bev can share some great memories, and maybe a little bit of history. Jacque and my mom are not kidding about those sheets! You have touched so many lives and made so many friends thru out the years. I Love you man like a brother. Like i said on the phone, I'm not a praying man but i'll pray for you! Greg

Sway Dizzle said...

Hey bro, thinking about you as I often do lately. Just want you to know that I'm here for you, whenever you wanna just talk. Much Love.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick! For whatever reason I didn't find out until last week. I'm sorry to hear about everything you're going through. I promise to keep you in my thoughts and prayers! (I still can't help but giggle everytime I see that picture of you up at the CJC :)