Sunday, December 21, 2008

Obituary



Richard (Rick) Sterling DuKatz


(April 27, 1962 - December 18, 2008)

Our Hero”

Richard Sterling DuKatz, 46, of West Jordan, died at his home on December 18, 2008. Rick, a decorated Murray City Police Officer, was a devoted and loving husband, father, friend, coworker, and community member. Rick was looking forward to his retirement in May of next year and the opportunity to spend more time with his wife Beverly, his five children and grandson. These plans tragically changed in October of 2008 when he was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer caused by exposure to meth labs in the line of duty.

Rick was born in Minneapolis, MN on April 27, 1962, the son of James Gerald DuKatz and Faye Viola DuKatz. Rick married the love of his life Beverly Diane Harvey on November 9, 1985. Rick graduated from Bingham High School in 1980 and earned an Associates degree in Criminal Justice from Salt Lake Community College in August of 2001.

Rick’s career in law enforcement started in 1985 as a Constable and then a Reserve Officer for the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office and the South Jordan Police Department. He was hired as a full-time Patrol Officer for the South Jordan Police Department. He then began working at the Murray City Police Department in 1990. He served as a K-9 officer, a Community Oriented Policing Officer, and spent ten years on the Murray SWAT team. He also spent three years with the DEA Metro Narcotics Task Force as a Narcotics Detective. Most recently he confronted the most difficult job for any cop by working as a Child Abuse Detective. Rick received the Purple Heart in 1992 for injuries sustained in the line of duty, and was recently honored with the Chief’s Star Award for his outstanding work as a Homicide Detective. He also received 6 Division Commander Awards and several other achievement awards.

Rick was loved for his sharp wit and his fun outlook at life. Rick enjoyed fixing and racing cars, specifically Camaro’s, and going for rides with his wife on his Harley. He belonged to the Peacemakers Motorcycle Club. Friends were a priority to Rick, and the Dukatz home is often overflowing with friends. However, his greatest passion in life was his wife and family.

He is survived by his wife of 23 years, Beverly DuKatz; his daughter, Breanna; four sons, Derrick, Danny, Brandon, Jared; and grandson, Braden. He is also survived by his parents, James Gerald DuKatz and Faye Viola DuKatz; sister, Kathryn (DuKatz) Jensen (Clifford); brothers, Donald DuKatz (Margaret New) and David Thomas DuKatz (Susan Prince).

A viewing will be held at Murray High School at 5440 S. State St. on Friday December 26th from 6:00 to 8:00pm. His funeral will be held at Murray High School on Saturday December 27th at 11:00am. Interment will follow at the Murray City Cemetery at 5490 S. Vine St.

The Dukatz family wishes to thank Brian Wiseman, Jake Huggard, and many other friends, family and strangers for their ongoing support, prayers, and kindness.

Memorial donations may be sent to: The Murray City Police Department, care of the DuKatz family, at: 5025 S. State, Murray, UT 84107K



5 comments:

BRAGG LIFE said...

To our friend and one of the best guys I have ever had the honor of being friends with....We will miss you so much. All the memories you and Bev, Bobby and I have made together will stick with me forever and you will always be in my thoughts and your family in my prayers. We will hold on to them tightly to keep them safe and strong! Goodbye my friend.

Hoofy and Amy said...

Bev, I think of you daily and my heart still breaks for you and the kids. I have no words to express how sorry we are. But We are relieved that he is no longer in pain and comforted knowing that he is watching over you all. With his sense of humor I am sure he will keep you on your toes and never leave your side just like he always has. We love you!

Ashley said...

"The Final Inspection"
The policeman stood and faced his God,
which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, policeman.
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My church have you been true?"

The policeman squared his shoulders
and said, "No Lord. I guess I ain't.
Because those who carry badges,
can't always be a saint."

"I've had to work most Sundays,
and at times my talk was rough...
and sometimes I've been violent
because the streets are awful tough."

"But I never took a penny,
that wasn't mine to keep...
though I worked a lot of overtime
when the bills got just too steep."

"And I never passed a cry for help,
though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I wept unmanly tears."

"I know I don't deserve a place
among the people here.
They never wanted me around
except to calm their fear."

"If you've a place for me here, Lord,
it needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But, if you don't...I'll understand."

There was silence all around the throne,
where saints had often trod,
as the policeman waited quietly
for the judgement of his God.

"Step forward now, policeman
You've borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on heaven's streets.
You've done your time in hell."

roxeegirl said...

Beverly, The funeral yesterday was beautiful, brutally sad, inspiring, uplifting, touching and again so sad...so many emotions. I wanted to share a moment that I had with you. I was standing at attention at the cemetary for what seemed like a long time. I was shivering because my Class A uniform has no coat, my bicep was cramping up from holding the salute, I was wondering if the tears on my face had frozen, hoping I didn't have a snot-cicle. Then for a minute the sun got warmer and brighter and was shining on my face and I immediately thought of Rick. I could see him in my mind smiling at me, teasing me out of my discomfort with his warmth and humor. And I felt better. It almost made me smile. This may sound hokey or silly, but I really felt he was responsible for that bright moment. A few minutes after that, still standing at attention, a gust of wind blew a bunch of snow across where we were standing, but it was okay--"good, bad, good, bad."

I regret so much that we had all fallen out of touch in recent years. Let's not let that happen again.

XO Kim

Roger W. said...

Bev,

I am filled with awe at the tremendous show of support from Rick's friends, family and his extended family on the police force. I can't imagine a higher display of honor, dignity and tribute. I am honored to have been a small part of his life.

My heart broke several times throughout the day. At times I wondered if Rick was somehow there with us, wishing he could send some form of comfort.

... and then.... there was that peculiar gust of wind that Kim mentioned. A seemingly warm gust on a bitter cold day. A single gust that seemed to end just as it was getting started but refused to go unnoticed. And although brief, swept through with enough impact to dislodge a little of the beauty from above and cause it to shower down and touch us all.